just so you know

Posted on | Tuesday, October 12, 2010 | No Comments


I was on my way to campus when I got a text from my friend saying that one of our friends just won an exchange program to the US. I was excited and proud at the same time. But what's more exciting is what he shared, and that's what I'm sharing here.
How many times in life do we bump into situations similar to the two above? We couldn't help it. I couldn't help it, I compare at times. Not on all subject though. The hypothesis is everyone must have at least one subject that's on top of his comparison list. For one, it might be shoes (and all the ladies raise your shoesss.. =p). You just can't help it when somebody has got better, shinier, more expensive brand than yours. You feel crappy when someone close to you get better grades than you do. For another it might be position in a job, bags, lenses (rookie photographer usually =p), and what not.
"Comparison is the death of happiness" - Doni Prilliandi.
What about benchmarking you ask. Aren't we suppose to have something to see our progress?
There's a line we have to draw here, between comparing and benchmarking. The latter focuses on the process (how can we make things better) while the former focuses on the results (grades, possession, etc). When we focus on results, nothing will make us satisfied.
Before we know it, those simple stuff somehow become majorly responsible for our happiness. Here's what to do .... admit it. When we admit, there's a releasing power that set us free from envy and the corresponding inferiority. Also, one thing we forget is where we were before. You might not have a car before, now you own a Honda! Screw the rest with Ferraris. You used to wear Charles and Keith, now you got a Kate Spade! Screw the rest with Louboutin.
"I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be." - Groucho Marx
smile on, shine on

Comments

Followers

a propos de moi

My Photo
maulida ika
I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best. - Marilyn Monroe
View my complete profile

.

.

play me, pretty please..


Powered By Blogger